Sunday, April 1, 2012

"Jesus is watching over us."

"Momma, Jesus is watching over us right now. He's always watching over us. Even when we're at church or at home."

That's what my 4-year-old said tonight as I was laying with him, tucking him into bed. And I was floored. He's 4! Yet he must understand so much. I truly thought he was asleep, and maybe he was. But after a few minutes of silence, he made me smile once again.

I'm wondering if it stems from our conversation we had today during supper. Which really started this morning at church. Palm Sunday. Our church waves the palms as the school-agers come in to sing at the beginning of the service. Then comes the reading of Jesus coming into Jerusalem, being betrayed 3 times, and persecuted and hung on the cross to die.

After discussing what Palm Sunday is about, and again, my 4-year-old saying that he's so sad that those "bad guys" had to kill Jesus, our conversation continued at supper with my daughter asking why we say "holy catholic (small "c") church" in the Apostle's Creed. (Side note: My husband in Catholic (big "C") and the rest of us Lutheran, and we attend the Lutheran church.) I just taught this to my 9th grade youth group, so I felt ready to explain to her.

But then she had another question. (Which I absolutely LOVE!) She had heard from others that God and Jesus are the same, but how can that be if Jesus is God's son. Oh boy! The trinity! Many adults don't even fully understand this. How are we (my husband and I) going to explain this to a 7-year-old, even if she is pretty smart. But we do! And God leads my husband to explain! (Which I secretly love b/c he's quieter on things like this!)

But the conversation goes deeper when my A-man brings up how sad it is (again) that Jesus had to die. But just as we were quick to agree that it was sad, we were just as quick to explain the JOY in why God sent his only son to die.....FOR US! That we are FOREVER SAVED and FORGIVEN, just through his GRACE!

Ending our supper with that conversation truly couldn't have been sweeter. But laying with my little buddy, knowing that he felt Jesus right there with us, just makes it even more believable to me that Jesus is watching over us!

No comments:

Post a Comment