Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What's the point of fasting?

This was a question that I really never understood until yesterday. Every time Lent came around I would always ask my husband, who is Catholic (I'm Lutheran), why he fasted. Why he didn't eat meat on Fridays. Part of the answer was because he's Catholic, and that's what they do.

That wasn't good enough for me. There should be a reason, in my opinion.

Then it was because it's a sacrifice! Jesus made a sacrifice for us, and it's a small sacrifice to say thanks for the sacrifice Jesus made for us. But it still didn't resonate in my heart. I make sacrifices every day, especially since having kids! But I still didn't get it.

Until yesterday.

I have been following the journey of this little girl and her family. And it is truly heartbreaking. Yesterday, Kate's mom had asked for people to fast and continue to pray. So I thought, sure, that's something I can do from so many miles away. So I don't eat for a day. Easy enough. It's one day. There are many people who don't eat for days at a time.

Yeah, whole new meaning of fasting. I am a proponent of eating breakfast; the most important meal of the day. So I figured that would be the hardest part for me. It was tough. I enjoy my bowl of frosted mini spooners and my glass of OJ! But throughout that time, while my belly was asking me what in the world I was doing, I prayed!

I prayed that God would take the pain away from this family. That God would heal Kate.

It was amazing how many times throughout the day I thought about food. And how many times it sunk in that every time I thought about food, I was praying for this little girl and her family.

All. Day. Long.

It then hit me why people truly fast. It was a sacrifice. But more than that, it was a reflection time; many throughout the day. A time to stop and have a chat with God. A time to ask for help for a little girl who is traveling throughout a tough journey. A time to think of someone other than myself.


Here's some information on fasting and abstaining, in case any of you are interested in learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment