Thursday, April 29, 2010

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I've been struggling with this question myself.

Ever since I was in 3rd grade, inspired by my 3rd grade teacher Carole Reindl, I've wanted to be a teacher. That's it. A teacher. I wanted to share with others what I knew. I wanted to make a difference in kids' lives like Carole did to me. I had fun sorting papers and I LOVED cutting out laminated things. I never wanted to go out for recess because I wanted to help Mrs. Reindl with what I now know as "busy work".

Now that I'm 30 and at home with my kids, I don't know what what I want to be when I grow up. And I've never had a backup plan in case I didn't teach. This is frustrating to me at a time when my husband is back in school to do what he's wanted to do for a long time. It's also frustrating to me because I went back to get my Masters in Teaching and Learning (through St. Mary's), and now don't know if that's what I will do for the rest of my life.

So now what? Right now I'm content watching other people's blessings, and definitely being home with mine! This is truly what I have always wanted to do, if and when I was blessed with kids of my own. But there will come a time when I will want to do something that is for me! But what? I suppose I have the rest of my life to work, and for right now I have time to figure out what I will do when I choose to work outside the home.

4 comments:

  1. I completely understand your feeling of being lost in the job department. I have had many struggles in finding jobs ever since I graduated with my B.S. and have cotemplated many different jobs, but I, too, never had a back-up plan. I am back at the drawing board again, after leaving Shattuck last year.

    Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandi,

    Don't beat yourself up regarding a "job" right now. You are taking care of your children and others as well....which in my opinion is much harder than any "job" out there. As you know, the kids grow up fast and you will never regret the decision you made to be at home with them. I'm so thankful that Neil allowed me to work "from home" while our 3 girls grew up. I can't believe they are all grown and on their own. Now that they are not at home, I still am so glad that I can do something from home....that hopefully is allowing me to touch others in a positive way. Hang in there, Brandi -- You're a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought wasn't far from Sue's. Being home is awesome. There's no greater job. As much as I love my job, if money weren't necessary - I'd be home. And then I'd volunteer in student ministries. So why don't you do the same. Work @ home. Volunteer in whatever you love. My suggestions for you:
    - Special needs, whether as a "buddy", through the church, or as a special needs tutor.
    - Social work(er): teen pregnancies, homeless ladies, etc.
    - Softball coaching. Nothing new, but something you should do as time permits.
    - Take up photography. Attend a class. Then start snapping away. I have a friend who recently did this and she loves it.

    btw, these are all options in west des moines!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandi... I love that you are wondering about your job. Wondering what you are going to be when you grow up. Do you think about what you do during your day that is your job? You are parent, cook, housekeeper, teacher, nurse, handy man, maid, security, coordinator, supervisor, manager, secretary, nutritionist, caretaker, personal assistant, life coach, bookkeeper, laundry maid, taxi driver and a motivational speaker. You don't get holiday pay, sick pay, or days off. You are on call 24 hrs a day, ......7 days a week. Happy Mothers Day! You do work for a living, you have the best job that God can give you. You are mother to four beautiful people and you are trusted with so many more. Enjoy that you are grown up and you are the mother that you wanted to be. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete