Monday, May 10, 2010

Cherish the Lasts

Yesterday was Mother's Day. It was a great day for me to spend with my kids. They let me sleep in for a little while! They came in to wake me to tell me they had made me breakfast! They had gifts they had made sitting on the table for me to open! They even let me take a nap (for 3 hours) in the afternoon! It felt good to know that some of the things I do for them they did for me! And they did it with smiles on their faces!!

I was able to worship with my kids and husband in the morning. I got to listen to my oldest blessing sing at church. Again, throughout the day, they showed me how proud I am of my kids. They have manners. They are thoughtful of others. They help each other out.

I had another first, too. This was my first Mother's Day with my baby Kailyn. It was another day where I could really appreciate what the Lord had given me...now 4 beautiful gifts.

I closed my Mother's Day with crying myself to sleep though! Seems kind of strange, huh! I think every mom should read the book "Let Me Hold You Longer" by Karen Kingsbury. Then it would all make sense! It's about how we always cherish and snapshot and write down the firsts we have with our kiddos. But we never do the same for the lasts. The last diaper we "get" to change. The last time we get to feed our baby the bottle. The last time we rock them to sleep on our laps.

I had a first as well as a last for me this Mother's Day. This is the last "first" Mother's Day I'll ever get. Bryan and I are done having kids, so I'll never had another "first" Mother's Day. And as I was holding Kailyn last night, as she was falling asleep and resting so peacefully on my chest, I was sad that I will never again have another Mother's Day with an infant. And to think how much she will change from this to the my next Mother's Day. I thought about how I want to cherish this moment. Take a snapshot and write about my last first Mother's Day. And more tears came. I hadn't gotten one picture taken of me with my blessings on Mother's Day.

So, maybe today I'll have to cheat a little. Even though today isn't Mother's Day, I'll have to pretend it is, just to be sure that I get a picture taken of me with my kiddos, who I absolutely LOVE being a Momma to!

No comments:

Post a Comment