Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pride

I have been taught not to be too proud of myself. I don't want to seem conceited and big headed. But there are times when I think I need to be proud of myself. And last night was one of those times!

I'm in the process of sort of training myself to get ready for a 5K. I find myself laughing at hearing myself say that. My family is not a family of runners...except for my brother, who is training for his 3rd (I think) marathon!! I have terrible knees and they just KILL when I run and when I'm done. And I'm terribly slow when I run, which is ok when I'm running long distances at a speed that I choose. I've never been a runner. But I think I may be hooked after just one night!

Last night my hubby and I decided to make a practice run of the 5K. He had already run it in the morning, but was sweet enough to run it AGAIN just to help me out. My goal was to run the whole thing without stopping. Turns out, I DID IT! My husband was a good encourager! Although I'm not sure I needed it. This time when I set my mind on running continuously, I meant it! I've been trying to lose a bunch of weight. And this is part of my weight loss plan. So this goal was going to be achieved! And I did it!

There were a couple things that kept me going when I was slowing down. Right before I left my little peanut was just a smilin' at me! I figured I would take this with me as went running, to help me keep my goal. Another thought I had was my kids. I want to be able to show my kids that their mom can do things...and not just clean and do laundry! I want them to know that if they try hard enough and keep with it, they can accomplish things that may seem hard! That kept me going! Last, was the little boy who I'm running the 5K for. He is a little 3rd grader who was diagnosed with cancer and had to have one of his legs amputated. I may not like running, but at least I have both of my legs to do it if I did. This precious gift from God will have to find other ways to do so many things. I'm doing this for him.

So for all these reasons, I'm proud of myself. I'm doing something for myself that is going to push me into becoming a better person. It's going to bring me self-confidence that has been lacking. It's going to give me more goals for this one facet of my life. And maybe, just maybe it's going to open my eyes to more activities and opportunities to allow me to feel proud of myself (in a good, non big-headed way)!

No comments:

Post a Comment