Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Is Breast the Best?

So with having 4 kids, I've done A LOT of breastfeeding!! I can say that my boobs are ready to be done nursing! Or maybe that's just me:) Either way, a total of 3 1/2 years of my life have been spent nursing. And I have another 6+ months to go! That's a lot of time. Many minutes spent with my babies! Lots of bonding happening. Lots of time that I would never give up in a million years.

Got me wondering about other moms out there. Although it's not a topic of conversation for many, it is one that interests me. I would love to help new and experienced moms start and continue on that journey to breastfeeding their babies. But so many don't. This stirs up mixed feelings inside. I would say that I'm 'pro-choice' when it comes to what moms want to do. However, I am definitely an advocate for breastfeeding. And I am curious as to why so many moms don't nurse their babies.

There is so much research that says "Breast is Best". The health part of it alone would be enough to sell me! Don't moms want the best for their babies? I'm sure that's an obvious YES, but then why not choose to breastfeed?

Another reason to breastfeed is to save money! Formula is frickin' expensive!! I can think of so many other things to do with that money! (I would say that to people who smoke, too!! Yikes!) Especially if I know that breastfeeding, on pretty much all accounts, is free. Sure there's the pump, the bottles for date nights, the bottle liners, etc. But in comparison, WAY CHEAPER!

I know that there are lots of moms who breastfeed for a few months, then switch over. I would like to know why. I know that having a baby suck on your tits for 12 months is a LONG TIME! (And yes, even affects the sex life a little!) Trust me! I know! I have a friend who never breastfed her children because she thought it was gross. I know someone who couldn't breastfeed because of her nipples. I'm sure there are some good reasons why moms can't breastfeed! But what about the ones who are capable but never try? Or the ones who do it for a few weeks and then stop. Is it out of selfishness? In my opinion, many times it is. Why not keep going? I mean, it is pretty convenient! No packing bottles. No packing formula. No having to make sure there is bottled water...or that the water is warm enough.

I know there are times that it hurts! I've had mastitis 3 out of my 4 kids! And I'm not done with this one yet, so it might be 4 out of 4! One of my kiddos didn't know how to latch on right. And she was pretty stubborn with learning (can you guess who it is?). But I had to teach her. With one of my kids I went through post-partum depression really bad...along with having a very colicky child. And I still nursed her! There are nights I would cry because my nipples were cracked and bleeding. I wanted to stop so bad. I pleaded with my husband to just go buy formula so I could stop. So trust me, I understand there are definite reasons to NOT breastfeed. I guess to me it was still important to try to keep going. But what are other moms' thoughts?

These are questions I would like to know more about. Is it worth my my time and energy to help new and experienced moms with breastfeeding? That's something I feel like I would be good at. I've had experience with the ups and downs of it, so I could empathize, not just sympathize. But I just don't know if it would be worth it.

I would love some feedback! I will not be judgmental at all! Trust me! That's not what this is about. I just want to know, if I do go into this line of work, what thoughts I will encounter from moms (and dads). Is it worth it to do something in this line of work that I'm passionate about if there's not enough interest from moms. I want to hear from moms who breastfed for a week then stopped. From moms who didn't want to breastfeed at all. From moms who pumped to give their babies breast milk, but never actually nursed. And from moms who nursed until their babies could have cow's/goat's milk. I know this is a private topic for many moms, but I would still love to hear from you! (Message me on Facebook or email me if you want to remain private.) The information will NOT be shared with ANYONE! It will go to help me decide what I want to be when I grow up! I look forward to many insights! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment