Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What I DID do today!

I've been trying these last few days to really try to see things differently. After my session last night I was told that I'm living life in a triangle: my thoughts cause my emotions and my emotions cause my actions, which then causes my thoughts. My thoughts for a while have not been the most positive. So in order to change my emotions and my actions, I need to change my thoughts. That's hard for me to do.

I've also been following this self-help challenge called Living the Self-Care Challenge. It's a daily tip which will hopefully turn into a habit. Well, I'm going to do one of those now. I'm going to write down what I HAVE accomplished today. I've always got this to-do list, and if it doesn't get done then I feel like I've failed. I get anxious and I don't enjoy things. This happens in the morning, in the afternoon, at night, when I should be sleeping, literally all the time. It's just never good enough.

In fact, just a couple weeks ago I was told by someone who loves me that my parenting isn't good enough, simply because it's not the "right" way, or their way of parenting. And my kids are pretty damn good kids! I can take them out to eat, all 4 of them, without having to worry about them having a fit. I almost always take them to the store with me, without hesitation, because they are very well-behaved kids. And I get told this a lot by perfect strangers, how well behaved they are! I'm very proud of them, as well as Bryan and I for how we are doing with our kiddos! However, my parenting style is still not good enough. It's not "right", somehow. This is pretty much how I feel I lived growing up, actually. Nothing was ever good enough. Now that's my thinking in my adult life, and I need to change that, before I create that monster inside my kids' heads! And that I will NOT allow. So here it goes. More positive thinking!!

What I DID do today! (and it's only 2:00!)
1. got the kids breakfast
2. changed 3 diapers (2 poopy ones even!)
3. did 3 loads of laundry
4. took the kids to the park and PLAYED with them!
5. made lunch
6. unloaded the dishwasher
7. loaded the dishwasher
8. did some dishes
9. folded laundry
10. put some laundry away
11. replied to a birthday invite!
12. put that birthday party on my Google calendar
13. cleaned up one couch so we can sit on it
14. put toys in the living room away
15. pumped (I have a few dates this week that my Peanut will have to have a bottle)
16. cleaned out part of the freezer
17. took a shower (these are obviously not in the correct order!)
18. signed up for 2 of my kids' conferences at their school
19. put those conference times on my Google calendar
20. put my Peanut down for a nap
21. put the other 2 blessings down for their nap (one being my own, one being a daycare blessing)
22. swept the entry way (lots of leaf parts)
23. swept the kitchen floor
24. blow-dried my hair (which almost NEVER happens!) (and this was even for myself!)

I'm sure there are more. And maybe not. But I still have a lot of time left in my day. However, after looking back at this list, I think I need to say, "Good job, Brandi!" 24 things accomplished, and possibly even more. So I think I'm going to reward myself. When my kiddos get home from school, I have been thinking I'm going to see if they could help play with my younger 2 so I can get more things done. Screw that! I'm going to go outside (being that it's so nice out there; sunny and 70!) and play with them, whatever they want! I have a daycare conference tonight, so I will be away from my family. They deserve for their mom to be with them, and to ENJOY that time, not thinking about what else needs to be done!

Now I'm excited for when they get home!!! This mom is going to play! I accomplished things today, and now it's my turn to PLAY with my kids! Just add that to one more thing I DID today!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for commenting on my blog. It feels so much better to know other people are going through similar things.

    Isn't it crazy how we feel like we need to accomplish "x, y and z" so that we aren't complete failures??? I mean 24 things in 1 day is OUTSTANDING!!! And even if it was 2.4 things.....taking care of children is unlike any other kind of "real" job there is....there is really no way to qualify or quantify what you do.

    Over time and lots of "internalized CBT" with myself, I have gotten better about feeling like I'm good enough. My 3-year-old always says, "Mommy, will you play with me?" but what he really wants is for me to just be close, watch him. When I try to actually play he usually tells me "No" or moves my hand away. He likes to do things his way.

    So I try to remind myself that a big part of what I do as a SAHM is just being around, available, in the house.

    It is perfectly ok to be "just" a good enough mom.

    ReplyDelete