Wednesday, November 17, 2010

'Tis the Season...

to be giving, right?!


I feel confident in saying that our family, myself for sure, is so blessed with the life we have. With the things we have. With the love and support from friends and family we have. With the gifts God has given to us!

Well, today we decided to give back a little. Well, at least the first step. I decided that with the daycare kiddos we would partake in Operation Christmas Child. If you're not familiar, you fill a shoe box with items in it for a little kid; boy or girl; ages 2-4, 5-9 or 10-14. (We chose a little boy AND a little girl, ages 2-4.) You get the items, pray for the child that will be getting this package, fill the shoe box, then bring it to a drop off place and they send it to a child who may not get to celebrate like our family does, or has in the past!


So today I took ALL the kids shopping at the Dollar Tree (where both Santa and I are going to shop for our kids' gifts!) with the help of our backyard neighbor and friend, Grandma Diane! 8 kids. 2 are infants, 1 is almost 2, 3 are almost 3 (all within days of each other), 1 who just turned 4 and one who is 5! WHEW! But you know what - they did GREAT! I explained before hand what we were doing, not knowing if they were really going to get it. But they did! As they were picking out items for the boy AND the girl, they made comments like, "I think the little girl would like to play with this," and things like that! All the kids behaved really well. I kept getting comments made to me and Diane like, "Wow you have your hands full," and "You brought all those kids in here. You're brave," and things like that. But you know what, I would do it again in a heartbeat!


Well, I brought my cam
era with so I could take pictures. But it was so crazy with the kids handing items to either Diane or me that I totally forgot. So, we got our first round of pics after we got home and spread out the gifts! I am going to take more as we pack our shoe boxes and as we bring our boxes to the drop off site!

I am so proud of my Little Blessings! They were excited to know we were sending these fun things to a little boy and girl who may not get anything else this Christmas! I'm hoping that I taught them that it is something we should do, to give to others. That's what God did for us, and he wants us to continue to do that for him! I know I was so proud of those kiddos that we will continue to do things like this throughout the year; not just at Christmas time!


I encourage you all to do something similar. I have a feeling that you are probably just as blessed as we are, if not more! We just take it for granted sometimes. What a humbling way to show that we are grateful for what we have, to give to children who don't have control over what they get or don't get! Visit this site for more information on
Operation Christmas Child and get involved in helping a little kiddo smile this holiday season! After all, 'tis the season for giving!

(And if you do something selfless for someone else in the upcoming weeks, or have any ideas of what to continue doing, please comment on it! I'd love to hear it!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment