Monday, November 1, 2010

What I Would Say...

So I'm a little behind in watching the episodes of The Biggest Loser. With 4 kids, 2 of whom are in activities, plus the daily routine that seems to just eat away at the day (laundry, supper, bedtime routines, check backpacks, etc.), we find it hard to find time to watch ANY of our shows when they are actually on. So we are very thankful that we can watch them online!! So we just got the chance to watch the episode where Rick was NOT the biggest loser.

Now, let me tell you a little about Rick. In one of the earlier episodes of the BL the contestants got a check up by the doctor on the show, were shown their body's age based on all the overweight problems they were having, and then they were able to talk via Skype to their family members for some needed encouragement. Well, with Rick, I felt like I was looking in the mirror to my family.

Only Rick was my dad.

Rick was very unhealthy. Scared after hearing how few years he was going to live if he didn't change his life! His family, grown children with some grandchildren, were telling him he could do it. And that they supported him! That they loved him so much and were proud that he was taking this step to live a longer and healthier life!

Fast forward to when he was not allowed to stay on the Biggest Loser ranch anymore. They showed where he was now, after months of having this support at home. He looked great! He looked happier! He looked healthier! He was off his blood pressure meds, as well as all the other meds he was taking! He was joining his family in activities that were healthier, like walking, exercising. They were doing it together, living a happier, healthier life TOGETHER! As a family! And to top it off, Rick was using what he had learned to inspire his son-in-law to start making healthier choices and lose weight!

The mirror.

My dad is obese. And I would be scared to know what his numbers are. I would be scared to know how many years doctors would guess he has to live. He has grown kids who enjoy being active. He has grandkids that want him around, to be apart of their activities and accomplishments. He has family that will support him! And he has family members that he could inspire to start living healthier! The thing is, my dad watches the Biggest Loser. When is he going to be inspired enough to do something about his own obesity?

These are things that I would like to say to my dad.

Dad, do you know that you are loved? Do you know that you have grandkids that want you around? They want to tell you about the bonfire that they built after learning how to do that at school. Then they want to show you! They want to tell you that they are reading at a first/second grade level at the beginning of Kindergarten. Then they want to read to you! They want to tell you that they are potty training, and that they went poopy on the potty for the first time! They want to tell you that they are learning how to cross the monkey bars. But then they want you to go down to the park and actually show you!

But those are things that are happening now. Dad, your grandkids want to tell you who they asked to their Senior Prom. They want to tell you where they chose to go to college. They want to call their Guy-Guy and say that they are getting married to the person they love to death! Dad, they want you to be around in 20 years when they tell you you are going to be a Great Grandpa (although that's probably scary to hear now!)!

Dad, you have to start taking care of yourself NOW! Not tomorrow. Not next year. You may not have til next year! You may not have til graduation. You may not have til your grandchild's wedding day. But you have today! You have to love yourself the way we love you. You have to want to be healthier the way WE want you to be healthier.

Dad, you have support! Even from 200 miles away, you have support!

What I would say to my Dad, if I could, and if he would listen, is that you need to do something about your obesity! You have to do something about your weight, your lifestyle, your heart, your mind. I would tell my dad that I pray every night that he makes it to another day. I would tell my dad that I would be his cheerleader (and trust me, I am NOT a cheerleader!). I would tell my dad that I know he could do it, even though it would be one of the hardest things he has done for HIMSELF!
I would tell my dad that I love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment